Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hundreds to graduate from Western Governors University tomorrow

Video Courtesy of KSL.com


Hundreds of people from all walks of life throughout the country will receive degrees from the Western Governors University (WGU) tomorrow. The nonprofit, online university was created more than 10 years ago. We visited with one of the Utah graduates who earned her degree while overcoming a life-threatening disease.

Kimberly Lillywhite is setting up her first classroom. At long last she is a teacher. She finished her degree online at WGU. "This is a really unique and fun way to get a degree, especially if you're self-motivated. I could do it on the weekends, I could do it at night, I could do it in the middle of the day. WGU is amazing," she said.

Her WGU mentor says the same about her because along with the online papers and tests, Lillywhite had to deal with the sick days that come with chemotherapy. She worked for good grades and fought cancer that had spread to her spine. "I'd seriously be in my pajamas all day, lay in bed, and I would do homework until I felt like I was ready to take a test," Lillywhite said.

Lillywhite says she did not get through this alone. She gives a great deal of credit to her faith, her family and the medical team who became her friends. "Started out really depressed, and I didn't want to get out of bed, and I just thought life was over. I had these really great doctors and nurses down at the U who would call me every day and tell me something funny. They were awesome," she said.

She put college aside to raise four children, then they helped her through the bad days to get her homework done. Now, Lillywhite says, "[I'm] doing really good. Our family's been blessed. I feel like maybe this is a new chapter for us."

Her lifelong dream of being a teacher is about to come true. "I love kids and wanted to give back. And so I am. I feel like I'm in a fairytale land most of the time, 'cause I can't believe this is really my room. This is Mrs. Lillywhite's room. I'm really excited," she said.

On August 25th, she will welcome 28 sixth graders with a big smile, a new degree and all the preparation and enthusiasm she can muster.

Lillywhite will be one of the speakers at tomorrow's graduation at Abravanel Hall. Degrees will be awarded to 642 graduates from 48 states. Representative Jim Matheson will deliver the commencement speech.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=3800852

No comments:

Post a Comment